Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Just Make Circles! It’s Easy! My earliest brush with the super hero dynamic


The following gallery consists of some dozen drawings made during the 1973 school year, when I was nine years old. A recent immigrant to The United States, I was still figuring out the uniquely American cultural phenomenon of caped gymnasts flying through the air, stopping bank robberies and runaway circus trains.
Having happened upon an old “How to Cartoon” book, I quickly applied the circle-drawing approach to the physique of the super hero, resulting in these amusing attempts at imitating what I saw in comics drawn by the likes of Wayne Boring and Jack Kirby.
Finding it hard to resist my innate storytelling “gift”, I also played Stan Lee, giving my characters gloriously derivative and unwieldy names and costumes.
Enjoy!